Saturday, January 3, 2009

Memories.....

It's January 3 today, Dad's birthday.

Although Dad is often in our thoughts and always in our hearts, this time of year gets us thinking of him even more. After 3 years without him the walk down memory lane is still bitter-sweet, but it's a walk that is always worth taking. It doesn't take much to spark the memories; a t.v. show, a song, a bad joke, ...... a box of hankies. As a matter of fact, on New Years Eve Amanda, Jackie, and I went to karaoke and then back to Manda's before midnight (each in our own cars). On the radio, in my car, came the song "Hooked On a Feeling" - it was one of Dad's many favorites, he loved the oooga-chaka's - so I tried to call Jackie to see if she was listening..... she didn't hear her phone, and she wasn't. When we got out at Amanda's I told her it was on and we both broke out singing it.

Dad left us with so many great memories. Here are a few of mine....... I hope you will share some of yours.

- Going on the school bus after school and singing songs when all the kids had been dropped off.
-"Get me a Pepsi Poopsie"
-Family trips (especially the one to Disneyland), staying up to keep Dad company while he drove.
-Smashed sandwiches.
-A note excusing me for being absent from school written on toilet paper (Yes, Mom was out of town).
-Sneaking out of bed to watch t.v. with Dad.
-Dad's cb handle "The Big Dipper", mine "The Little Dipper".
-Opening Christmas presents and Dad wearing strategically placed gift bows.
-Doing the t.v. crossword puzzle together, every week over the phone.
-The Irish Rovers, ABBA, Blue Grass, Boney M, and any music that had a good beat or hook.
-Laughing at movies in places no one else laughed.

I still get misty when I see a box of hankies, I can still hear him sing along to his favorite songs, I still hear him laugh at the old slap-stick comedies..... I guess (I hope) I always will. And I'll always keep an eye out for any Hyle trucks, that way I know he's still traveling the highways and making sure we're alright.

Happy Birthday Dad.

2 comments:

Tisha said...

I was actually going to write something simialr the other day! I was with some friends prepping for Christmas and one of the kids started singing rudolph and I kept thinking of "Olive, the other reindeer" and then at church they were reading about the wise men and how they came with "Haste". Oh, memories!

DeaVa said...

I know, and we never did find out who or what "Haste" was....that and lots for sale, lots of what??

Well, I could do this all day but obviously we're on the same page as it were.